Indigestion/Dyspepsia or upset stomach is a term that describes discomfort or pain in the upper abdomen.Dyspepsia is a group of symptoms which often include nausea,hiccup, belching,bloating ,vomiting,diarrhoea.
CAUSES OF INDIGESTION
- Excessive intake of food substances that are hard to digest as fat,fish,meat,ground nuts,etc…
- Intake of decayed food substancesand food made of rice flour will decrease the digestive fire.
- Untimely meals
- Fear and greed
- Stomach ulcers
- Stomach infections
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Abdominal distensions
- Rumbling noise in abdomen due to stagnation of air
- Salty taste in mouth and throat
- Regurgitation of food due to decreased digestive fire
- Sour belching
- Rumbling noise in abdomen
- Excessive thirst
- Pain in the lower abdomen due to stagnation of air in the abdomen
TREATMENT OF INDIGESTION
Indigestion is a symptom not a disease ,its treatment depends on underlying condition.Normally indigestion symptoms go away with in hours ,without any medications.If your symptoms become worse ,you should consult a doctor.
HOW TO PREVENT INDIGESTION?
- Try not to chew with your mouth open,talk while chewing or eat too fast.It will cause you to swallow too much air,leading to indigestion.
- Drink fluids before taking food.Avoid drinking during meals.
- Avoid late- night eating
- Avoid spicy food
- Avoid alcoholic beverages
- Eat small meals so the stomach does not have to work as hard
- Eat slowly
- Avoid foods that contain high amounts of acids ,such as citrus fruits and tomatoes
- Reduce caffeine products
- Don’t exercise with full stomach
- Don’t lie down right after eating .wait for 2 hours after your dinner before going to bed.
- Sleep with your head elevated above your feet and use pillow to prop yourself up.It will help to allow digestive juices to flow into intestine rather than to oesophagus .
WHEN TO SEE A DOCTOR FOR INDIGESTION?
See a doctor if you have any of the following symptoms :
- Vomiting /blood in vomit
- weight loss
- loss of appetite
- Black tarry stools
- Blood stained stools